• Storing cigars in cellophane

Posted by Conrad on April 6, 2023 at 21:39

I was recently wondering how long you can store cellophane-wrapped cigars in a humidor. I have already had the experience that if you take the cigars out of the cellophane, the cigars mature faster but then also lose flavor at some point (if you leave them in the humidor too long without cellophane). Has anyone had similar experiences with cellophane wrapped cigars? Could the cigars change negatively in the cellophane after XX years?

Vasilij replied 1 year ago 2 Members - 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Vasilij

Administrator
    April 7, 2023 at 6:26

I have already carried out various experiments and have stored the same cigars for four years and one year with and without cellophane. The result was always the same: the cigars stored in cellophane tasted significantly better than those stored without cellophane.

You can store them indefinitely. BUT: The cigars change over time and at some point all that's left is hot air, so to speak. I recently discovered a Jiménez Maduro Robusto in my humidor. It was almost 10 years old and tasted excellent. I don't know if this line still exists.

I recommend using up the light cigars within a few years. The stronger ones can be left longer. Is that a rule of thumb?

en_US